Fabric Printing and Painting with Clare Smith
$101.00 - $118.00
This course is designed for anyone interested in experimenting with a range of printmaking and painting techniques, with an emphasis on producing original fabric.
Course fee includes $20 materials fee
Learn how to make your own original textured, striped, leafy, patterned or dotty fabric suitable for use in quilting, embroidery or for use on clothing and for covering books.
This technique class will cover monoprinting, stenciling, stamping, using water based wax resist (similar to batik), printing with found objects such as leaves and flowers, making your own lino or eraser carved blocks and making and using foam blocks and Gelli-plates. Students will be encouraged to experiment with the water based inks to produce water colour and ‘paste paper’ designs on fabric.
About Clare Smith:
I am a Textile artist and costume maker who specializes in surface design (dyeing and printing on fabric). I have a Teaching Diploma, a Graduate Diploma in Visual arts from Whitireia art school, and a Diploma in Costume Construction from Toi Whakaari. (the New Zealand Drama school). Between 2018-2022 , I studied Raranga (Maori Weaving) at Te Wananga o Aotearoa.
I have been teaching fabric dyeing, screenprinting, fabric collage and machine quilting since 1996. I currently teach a block course in costume dyeing and finishing at the New Zealand Drama school and exhibit my quilts and wallhangings internationally. Over the last 3 years I have also been weaving kete (basket weaving).
- Students should wear old clothes or wear an apron.At least 3 metres of light coloured pre-washed plain cotton fabric which can be in smaller pieces (such as fat quarters). Lawn or cotton poplin or quilters cotton is better than calico.
- At least 1 metre dark coloured fabric such as navy or black fabric.
- Any other fabric you wish to experiment on or change in some way (can include ugly patterned fabrics)
- A kitchen sponge or chux cloths
- Fabric Scissors
- 1 -2 Foam rollers - 3inch wide (approx) (buy from the 2 dollar shop or paint shop)
- Icecream container lid or plastic plate (to use as a roller tray)
- Plastic Containers with lids for mixing inks.
- If you already own a Gelliplate and soft roller please bring it.
- Any stamps or stencils you would like to experiment with in class
- Any unusual shaped leaves or leaves with large veins from your garden for printing.
Note regarding payment:
When you check out we offer two options for payment - internet banking or credit card. Our preference is internet banking as:
- We get the money the next day rather than 10 days later
- We don't pay credit card fees of approximately 2%
- It's much quicker for the Centre Manager to administrate
On completing your order you'll be given the bank account number.